This is a blog about a semester in Seville, Spain. I will attempt to update it every week as a way to keep family and friends informed as to exactly what I am up to this fall. It will also serve as a little travel journal, so that when this journey is over I will have something to look back on and see the ways that my Spanish experience has changed me.
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Sick in Sevilla or How we got free paella and wine
Being sick is not fun, especially being sick in a foreign country. Fortunately, I'm not that sick, so I can't really complain, but I'm sick enough to notice that it's taking a toll on my daily life activities such as walking to school, concentrating in class (as being sick makes it even easier to just tune out the Spanish), oh and breathing. Today I am actually feeling much better, I've been sleeping a lot, and our senora has made us the chicken flavored rice soup, which tastes pretty good even though it tastes like she got the water from the saltiest part of the ocean. Since my last entry, we went to Huelva, which I am tempted to write about, but want to save it until after we celebrate Columbus day, which is a big deal here, compared to in Mexico, where the people seemed to be less than thrilled that this man showed up and paved the way for the Spanish to take over their country. But what I will share about the Huelva trip was that we got to go to the beach, and as we went to go look for a restroom, we walked past a restaurant that was hosting a party on its patio. A rather large man with white Einstein hair approached us from the other side of the wall, asking if we were Americans and if we had ever tried paella, a traditional Spanish dish. We admitted that we were Americans and that we hadn't yet tried paella. At this point, he decided that we must become a part of the celebration and brought us a big plate of paella, three glasses of wine, and three eligible spanish bachelors, two were like 30 and one had not yet graduated from high school.We got to speak to them in Spanish, so it was totally worth it for the practice, and the good food. We also found out it was a baptism party. So now I have officially crashed a QuinceaƱera, in Xilitla, Mexico and a Baptism. Awesome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment