Today was my last first day of school (unless you are counting when I start second semester in January). So its kind of a big deal. I had 4 classes today, history/culture, Spanish short story, grammar, and service learning (but I may have to drop this one in order to take current events). And all of it was in Spanish. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but I was still exhausted when I got home for lunch at 2.
Last night I went to bullfight. Six bulls were killed, there was only one that was kind of sad, the bull broke its horn when it rammed into the side of the arena and its horn just kind of hung out for a while and the bull made moo-ing sounds. But it was cool to have this experience, especially because they are talking about getting rid of bullfighting in Spain (who does that? There are few things that are more Spanish than bullfighting). The matadors all had on these sparkly costumes in all different colors and worked in teams to kill the bull. After, a group of us went out for tapas, like small appetizers. I have come to realize that about half of what I will eat here will probably be potatoes, good thing I like them.
Our senora, Maria or Maru, the artist is an interesting character. She is very... um...forgetful and gets confused or does things a little out of the ordinary. Like making sandwiches for example; she made a sandwich of just bread and meat and then one of just bread and cheese and then individually wrapped them in tinfoil so that when Jill and I went to eat lunch we both ate our meat sandwiches first wishing they had cheese and then proceeded to pull out the cheese sandwiches, and we laughed and were a little confused. Or today, Maru was convinced that because Jill had an appointment in the afternoon, I had something to do as well, and asked me about 5 times where I was going (nowhere, except my bed for a siesta).
(Kayti) What do you get when you are with a Portuguese man?
(Portuguese man) A mustache!
before i entered your blog, blogspot warned me i was about to see adult content on this site. i thought, "shannon, what on earth is happening in spain?!" either it was a mistake or blogspot is very sensitive to the lives of bulls
ReplyDeletehahaha! these make me sooo jealous... I think your señora was tryna kick you out the house, subtly. lol!
ReplyDeletebtw, was the bullfight loud? the one we went to in jurriquilla was almost dead silent once the bull entered the ring, unless it was for the obligatory "olé" when the performers did a good job.