Saturday, August 7, 2010

Las vacaciones

As my first post for this study abroad blog, I thought I would write a few of my thoughts leading up to my departure for Seville. I have spent the summer at the beach, working part time as a nanny to four wonderful children, living in a house with 7 other amazing women, learning to cook and shop for food, and most importantly spending time with my friends. I have enjoyed my summer so much that I sometimes don't want to leave for Spain. However, just this past week, I have decided that it's about time that I take a vacation from this city that happens to be a vacation destination itself. Not that I am tired of the beach by any means, because there definitely were not enough good beach days this summer, but this city has become too small. I am ready for a change of scenery, people, lifestyle, and culture.
I am excited and anxious for Spain. I am afraid that it will take longer for my Spanish to come back to me, and even then, the Spanish spoken in Spain is different than what was spoken when I lived in Queretaro, Mexico last fall. I am excited that I will be living with a family, and that I will be with a big group, and that we have planned trips to other cities in Spain. I am anxious about missing my family and friends because it has not yet been a year since I have returned from Mexico. I am anxious about classes I will be taking and adjusting to a new culture. I adjusted fairly easily in Mexico, but Spain is different, or so I have heard. I have heard that Spain will change me, but in a good way, and I'm looking forward to that change.