Saturday, November 13, 2010

Wafers and a whirlwind trip

I told Jill the other day that I missed taking communion at church. Last Wednesday we went with our Tres Culturas class to visit the Juderia (Jewish quarters) of Sevilla. On our way there we stopped at a convent, and our professor Jose Maria went in and came back with pieces of communion wafers. He explained to us that the nuns in this particular convent can never leave, but you can go in and buy the remnants of the communion wafers for really cheap. He gave us the bag to snack on while we were touring the Juderia. Our class was really confused at first, but then we all decided it was hilarious, and we walked around Sevilla eating pieces communion wafer bread for snack. Not exactly what I envisioned when I said I missed taking communion…. But it is what it is.
Yesterday, Jill and I returned to Madrid instead of going on the group trip to Ronda. The morning was strictly business- going to the US consulate to pick up an emergency passport for Jill so that she can go to Switzerland with her mom. After that, the day was mostly relaxing. We went to Starbucks (very American, I know) got coffee and read, then went and walked Gran Via, browsing our favorite stores. I’m on a hunt for brown leather boots that have laces in the front, I saw a pair at Zara a while back, but couldn’t find them yesterday. Then at 6, we headed to the Prado museum, which is free from 6 until closing. We saw paintings by Sorolla (my favorite Spanish painter), Goya, Murillo, El Greco, and other important Spanish and European painters. After the Prado, we met up with our friend Pablo who lives in Madrid for dinner at El Tigre. It was really great to be able to see him again, but at the same time, it was also really sad to say good-bye. I seriously love Madrid, favorite city in Spain, possibly in Europe (Lisbon is still in the running for top honors as well).
*these photos are from the first trip to Madrid (but this statute of Goya and the San Jerinominos church are close to the Prado)
Today I went downtown to go to Starbucks (I know, it might become a habit, but they have the red cups now). I went there to get some homework done, which I did, but I also ended up just journaling a lot. In the past week I have been reminded several times of the fact that we only have 5 weeks left in Spain, which seems like enough time at first, but then after thinking about it, it really isn’t. Thanksgiving is coming up, and I’m sad because Thanksgiving is definitely my favorite American holiday and I won’t be there. However our school is putting on a dinner for us in a Spanish restaurant, so we will see how that goes. I remember last year making Thanksgiving dinner in Mexico, coming up with a stuffing recipe from scratch with my friend Sarah that actually turned out pretty good. I remember our group had dinner and then we had invited our host families and professors and Mexican friends to come and share dessert with us, and they all came. It was beautiful.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”Matthew 11:28
I vii I vi V ZRH

1 comment:

  1. I missed you today. Well i miss you all the time but especially because of what today was. Love you! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete